Creating a successful website has never been this simple! Jump in as we look into the simple things you must keep in mind before you register your website.
The budget for anyone who is just starting out would be plus or minus $15. It could be more or less and this is dependent on the domain registrars and hosting platforms you find interesting.
Here’s an offer to help you get started: Get this cheap hosting plan that costs only $1 per month.
Worry-less though, because I will point you to the right direction and that’s pretty much the aim of this post. Anyway, let’s get started with learning what a website is and the importance of having one.
What’s a Website? And the Reason to Have One.
A website is a combination of a domain name and hosting. It is important for businesses, organizations, brands and entrepreneurs to have a website or online presence. Having a website makes it easy for your customers to check you (or your business) out. The easier they find you, the better chances of them interacting with you and your business.
Having an online presence is a must! Especially for those who have portfolios and projects to show case to the world. And you better believe me. There’s no better way of show casing your projects and portfolios other than by using a website. It’s no secret that most of us (if not all) use the internet to find new things to try.
With that being said, if your website pops up on the search engines (or internet) then people may check it out.
The best part about having a website is that you can even start your very own online store. I mean, e-commerce websites are the ‘new thing’ for selling products and services (or any work for that matter).
You May Check This Post Out Too: Create A Free Professional Blog Without Breaking A Sweat!
Ways of Earning Money When You Own a Successful Website
You can earn money (online) on your website by using some of the following (common) methods.
- Selling eBooks.
- Selling your products.
- Offering services for a fee.
- Showing advertisements.
- Reviewing products and promoting affiliate products (affiliate marketing).
Getting Started with Creating a Successful Website
To get started, you need to identify the purpose of your website, its audience and niche. You can create a website to show the services or work you are going to offer or render. And you can do this in a form of a company, organization, and brand or simply as an individual (entrepreneur).
Secondly, you have to choose a name for your website. This way your audience or customers won’t have a hard time trying to identify your work. Having a name for your self (or brand) makes it easy for customers to spot your content or work on the web.
Anyway, after identifying the purpose and naming your site, the next step is to choose a suitable domain name for your website. It is ideal to have a domain name that matches with your brand name.
More Content Like This: Effective Way to Get Blog Traffic, YouTube Views and Facebook Likes Quick!
A domain name – is the part of a network address that identifies it as belonging to a particular domain. For example: my domain name is MainlyBlogging.com and my project’s (blog) name is Mainly Blogging.
Qualities of a Great Domain Name
- Brand able. A brand able domain name is easy to pronounce and can be said to be catchy too. Example: NBC.com,
- Memorable. Memorable domain names are easy to remember and type. Therefore, you are advised to consider using simple English words when choosing a domain name.
- Short. Not necessarily short but make sure they don’t exceed twenty-five (25) characters. Why? Well, short domain names are easy to write and being short goes hand in hand with being memorable.
- They are clean. Clean domain names don’t have punctuation marks and they are made up of letters only or and numbers only. However, domain names that have numbers only are used (mostly) by Chinese people so unless you are Chinese or you prefer those kinds of domains, do register one.
Find a domain starting at $0.48
powered by Namecheap
Some of the most used or popular domain name extensions are .com, .net and .org so you may consider registering one. Get the cheapest domain names at Namecheap and consider this post on Why You Should Register or Transfer Your Domain Name to Namecheap.
When done choosing a domain name, you have to choose a good hosting platform. Mind you, a domain name alone is not a website.
Popular and Cheap Domain Name Registrars to Try.
- Namecheap – Their domain names cost less than any registrar I know of. Every domain name registration comes with a free WHOIS protection and you can even get some domain names at $0.48 cents. Take a look or even create your account here.
- GoDaddy – This domain registrar is known for its first year discounts. Without a doubt they offer cheap domain registrations but, the are not really good for long term services. Check them out or even create an account here.
- HostKing – This is a popular domain registrar and hosting company in South Africa. They have reasonable prices and their prices never increase. Do visit or even create an account here.
Host – store (a website or other data) on a server or other computer so that it can be shown on the internet.
Keep these Features in Mind When Choosing a Hosting Package.
Bandwidth – measures the amount of data that is used by a website on the internet.
Bandwidth is like fuel and without it your website won’t run. At the same time it is something you don’t have to worry about, because all the hosting packages I have seen – offer an unlimited bandwidth. So yes, always go with an unlimited bandwidth.
Disk space – Is the storage for your content and files on the web.
You can choose your disk space depending on how big or small your site is. A minimum of 1024MB will do. However, it is better if you choose a hosting package that offers more disk space. I mean, the freer disk space your website has, is the more it will deliver your site’s content fast and render it fast.
Price – Don’t overpay.
Don’t spend your money on hosting packages that don’t deliver or offer quality features. Therefore, to make sure you don’t, visit different hosting companies and compare their hosting plans (features + pricing).
Support – How good is their support?
Do they have a phone number? Email address? Live chat support? These are the kinds of questions you should ask yourself and be able to get answers. A 24/7 support is required in case you experience problems and this is dependent on your support preference. I prefer being helped via Email or Live chat.
Backup – Does their hosting plan backup your website’s files?
Having a backup of your website’s files is very important. A backup will be needed in cases like: your website crashes, you delete important files by mistake, or you need to move your website to another platform and so on. Therefore, if they don’t backup your website files, don’t choose them.
That’s all you need to know and thank you for reading. Do share the post and your thoughts below, cheers.